Finding a candidate that fits your culture and is qualified for the job is not an easy task. Interviews are used to get to know the candidate, but they can be quite terrifying for candidates and you might not really know if they are the right fit.
Don’t eliminate the work related questions that you need to ask, but rather choose a moment during the interview (maybe halfway), to ask some of these questions. These fun and unique questions help candidates loosen up and show who they really are. There is no right or wrong answer to this question; however, listen intently to the “why” portion of the responses. Try asking some of the following, unusual interview questions; your candidates won’t expect these questions and their reactions and responses will tell a lot.
- If you could be any superhero, which one would you be and why?
This questions reveals a bit of their creativity, personality and imagination.
- What’s your favorite 90’s jam?
With this question, you are trying to get a sense of their personality.
- If you won $30 million in the lottery, what would you do with the money?
This response will show the candidate’s creativity, goals, planning, responsibility, generosity and desire to work.
- If you could be any flavor of ice cream, what would you be and why?
This seems like an odd one, but the response reveals personality.
- What was the last gift you gave to someone?
Depending on the response, this question gives you a sense of personality, if they are detailed and their creativity depending on the actual gift.
- What actor/actress would play you in an autobiography?
This answer shows personality, self-confidence and it lets you see how the candidate sees himself or herself.
- Who is your role model and why?
Their response to this question gives you insight on their goals in life, what’s important to them and what they value in people.
- If you could get rid of one state in the US, which state would it be and why?
This is a great question to get a sense of the candidates thought process and how well they can make decisions.
- I’m planning a vacation with my spouse soon, where would you recommend and why?
With this question, you can learn about the candidates thought process. If they ask questions about you and your spouse, this shows that they are truly trying to give you a thought out answer.
- What is your spirit animal?
This is a great question to ask during an interview not just to know the animal, but the reason why they feel they relate. Seeing how a candidate can back up an odd animal like a sloth might just be the creative person you are looking for.